The Evidence Collection Tool provides an additional way to collect evidence during observations. When using the Evidence Collection Tool the evaluator is able to collect evidence and align that evidence at the same time or the evaluator can choose to gather the evidence and then align the evidence to corresponding components after the observation. The Evidence Collection Tool can only be used when the icon is not ghosted out.
To locate the tool follow the path: Evaluations > Administration > Process View. Select the educator you are observing. Locate the observation component and select the plus sign to expand the Component and locate the form. Select the scroll icon to bring up the Evidence Collection Tool .
It is very important NOT to open the actual form in one tab and the Evidence Collection Tool in another tab at the same time as evidence collected can be lost. When you select the Evidence Collection Tool icon, the form will automatically open up behind the tool. You will know if you have two tabs open with the same form name are displayed like below:
Follow the below steps to use the Evidence Collection Tool:
1. The Evidence Collection Tool provides the evaluator with the option to use Keyboard Shortcuts. Select the gear icon to view the preset "student" and "teacher" shortcuts. Personal shortcuts can also be added.
Create your own shortcuts by selecting the Settings “gear” to the right of Keyboard Shortcuts:
2. Move or resize the Evidence Collection Tool:
Click and hold on the top bar of the Evidence Collection Tool to drag the box over to a new location.
If you click on the Evidence Collection Tool icon you will be capturing data and then syncing to the form. While using the tool you are also able to view, but not enter data into the form.
3. Enter evidence in the Evidence box:
Put the cursor in the Evidence box and select Enter or Return after each piece of evidence. This will collect under the Evidence Review tab at the top of the form and allow you to align that evidence to specific components after you are done observing.
You can also choose to align evidence as you collect by hovering over the identified component(s) and selecting the appropriate fly-out indicator. This too will collect under the Evidence Review tab.
4. Once evidence is collected select the Evidence Review tab at the top of the form. This will bring up a screen with three tabs: Aligned Evidence (evidence aligned to indicators), Unaligned Evidence (evidence not yet aligned), and Evidence/Score.
5. Select the Aligned Evidence tab to see any evidence collected that has been aligned. Evidence can be edited using the pencil icon or deleted using the “X”. The columns can be sorted as desired and downloaded or printed if desired. Evidence can also be realigned if desired. NOTE: Evidence is time-stamped.
6. Select the Unaligned Evidence tab to align evidence collected but not aligned to components. Select the evidence on the left and select the indicator you would like to align the evidence to on the right. Select the Align button in the top right corner. Evidence can be edited using the pencil icon or deleted using the “X”. The columns can be sorted as desired and downloaded or printed if desired. Evidence can also be realigned if desired.
7. The Evidence/Score tab evidence can again be edited using the pencil icon or deleted using the “X”. Evidence can also be realigned if desired. Evidence can be viewed by Alignment, Evidence, or Timeline. Evidence can be scored by selecting the Score hotlink and selecting Area for Strength or Growth.
8. Syncing Evidence - Changes in the Evidence Collection Tool are saved as you make them. Use the shortcut CTRL + Shift + S to Save and receive a confirmation of the Save. When all evidence is reviewed and aligned, sync the information to place it on the form. Select the Sync button at the top left.
It is okay to leave the box checked to Clear evidence after sync (see box above) – this will clear the evidence from the tool after the sync. You could choose to uncheck the box and have the evidence remain in the tool after it syncs to the form, however, be aware that if you return to the same form and re-sync with the box unchecked the data originally collected will be duplicated.
9. Editing and/or Deleting the Time Stamp - After the evidence has been entered, aligned, and then synced, you can open up the actual form, locate the evidence under the aligned component or indicator, and select that evidence to open the Notes and Evidence text box in edit mode. From there you can edit or delete the timestamp as well as the evidence.
FORGOT TO SYNC?: If you have submitted the form to the educator prior to syncing, head back to the form in question and scroll to the bottom of the page. Select the Edit Form button. This will reopen the form and allow you to sync the evidence from the Evidence Collection Tool. The form can then be resubmitted.